Tag Archives | religion
Earlier this year I read The Owl Service by Alan Garner, and I had many many thoughts about it, and […]
Posted on 27 August 2014 | By Fence | 2 responses
Bel Dame Apocrypha #1 Originally read August 2011 – Reread August 2014 Okay, this book seriously rewards a reread. I […]
Posted on 13 August 2014 | By Fence | 6 responses
Fursey is a lay brother in Clonmacnoise. The only monastery in Ireland to be unafflicted by demons and other such […]
Posted on 2 June 2014 | By Fence | Leave a response
The year is 1665 and Anna Frith is a widow at only 18 years of age. She has two young […]
Posted on 15 March 2014 | By Fence | 4 responses
Illustrated by Pam Smy Darra lives on the island of Inniscaul is a small island off the coast of Eriu, […]
Posted on 10 February 2014 | By Fence
Part of my Sci-Fi 2014 Experience When a book opens with a death by farting, two deaths by farting actually, […]
Posted on 17 January 2014 | By Fence | 6 responses
Little Hawk is about to leave his family and village to go into the woods and live alone for three […]
Posted on 9 October 2013 | By Fence
Lena Grove is looking for her man. The father of her unborn child. He told her that he’d go ahead, […]
Posted on 24 August 2013 | By Fence
Book one in the Promise of Stones series. Fox is a young girl growing up on the Stone Body, a […]
Posted on 31 July 2012 | By Fence | 2 responses
Conrad Scalese’s latest opera was a great success. Unfortunately the theatre in which it was performed has just been stuck […]
Posted on 23 June 2012 | By Fence
The final questions for the Dune group read are:
- What is your reaction to finally learning the identity of Princess Irulan? Do you think that her convention added to the story?
- Were you satisfied with the ending? For those reading for the first time, was it what you expected?
- On both Arrakis and Salusa Secundus, ecology plays a major role in shaping both characters and the story itself. Was this convincing? Do you think that Paul would have gone through with his threat to destroy the spice, knowing what it would mean for Arrakis?
- Both Leto and Paul made their decisions on marriage for political reasons. Do you agree with their choices?
- What was your favorite part in this section of the book?
- One of the things I noticed in the discussions last week was Herbert’s use of the word “jihad.” What do you think of Herbert’s message about religion and politics?
Posted on 25 July 2011 | By Fence | 6 responses
I’ve just been watching RTE’s Apparitions and to be honest, it just made me sad I mean, I don’t know […]