Stolen from Boards.ie some ROTK ee bits and bobs. Please note these are all only rumours so may not be true:
– Word is that New Line are baulking at the price for another Extended Edition, and may be farming out the FX to El Cheapo American FX House Inc rather than the high-quality excesses of WETA… our scooper (Toss the Dwarf) pointed out that this is strictly rumour-mill stuff, but remember who told you first.
*really hope this isn’t true, especially seeing as ROTK is breaking records all over the shop*
– This one isn’t going to come as a surprise, but for the record: we’ll be seeing Gandalf and his Power Rangers confronting Saruman after the Helm’s Deep battle, followed by the multi-coloured one falling to his death.
*but thats not in the books… only messing, I know that the Scouring of the Shire isn’t, and never was going to turn up in the films, and do get why*
– Merry will pledge his allegiance to Theoden in a scene similar to the Pippin/Denethor bit. Toss points out that shots from this scene have appeared in an early ROTK teaser, as well as a *very* early LOTR teaser from way back in the beginning.
– Following his acceptance of Anduril from Elrond, Aragorn uses the Palantir to reveal himself to Sauron. Sauron shows him a vision of Arwen’s sickness. This stuff was used instead during the dream sequence just before Elrond arrives at Dunharrow in the theatrical cut.
*Nice one. Really showing Aragorn becoming king*
– From the horse’s mouth: “Remember the scene in which the Witch King is asked what he’s going to do with Gandalf, and he says I will break him? This pays off big time in a battle between the Witch King and Gandalf as Gandalf and Pippin ride to save Faramir from the pyre. At the end of the battle, the Witch King breaks Gandalf’s staff and then the Rohirrim turn up and the Witch King gets distracted. The beginning of this confrontation is one of the $$$ shots in the ROTK trailer: the Witch King’s fell beast landing on the ramparts in front of Gandalf and Pippin on Shadowfax.”
*So why wasn’t this in the film then? Sounds really great.*
– “We see Gamling die on the Pelennor Fields theres a quick shot of Eomer bawling in the ROTK trailer.”
*See now I thought that related to him finding Theodren & his sister. Interesting to see how it plays out*
– “In the Houses of Healing, Aragorn heals Faramir, who then meets Eowyn and they fall in love. Aww.”
*Cool, hope they get this right, and it’s not just looking into eyes and then living happily ever after. But I trust mr. jackson.*
– “A disguised Frodo and Sam join a column of marching orcs on the way to Mt Doom. Their master is a ferocious orc captain with a whip. Remember the line heard over the sweeping shot of the orcs marching down through Mordor right after the Cirith Ungol sequence? That’s him, yelling Come on you slugs!.”
– The Mouth of Sauron scene changes the emphasis of the entire final battle between men and orcs at the Black Gates. In the theatrical cut, Aragorn and Co. ride up to the gates, they open, and orcs come out to fight. In the extended version, they are greeted by the Mouth of Sauron (played by the Matrix’s Train Man, Bruce Spence), who has pointy teeth and a pointy helmet that covers his eyes (he doesn’t need them, see? He’s just a mouth). He rides out to show the heroes Frodos mithril vest, recently stolen by the orcs at Cirith Ungol, and to let them know that Frodo is dead and the ring is on its way to Sauron. Aragorn believes him, and the heroes despair. Going into battle at the Black Gates, the heroes have no hope at all it’s their last stand for sure, and Aragorn’s line for Frodo refers to his sacrifice, not to buying time.
*Now this sounds well cool, really looking forward to seeing this*