A week or so I came across mention of this online course, I’m not sure where, I’d guess it was on Metafilter. That is where I get all my information about everything after all. And I figured I’d sign up, because although I do write reviews and whatnot, a course like this can give me focus. I do have a very slight habit of procrastinating and not getting shit done. So, a course, with deadlines and stuff. Awesome!
The course has started, I should have posted it about it before and maybe gotten some of you peeps to sign up, but erm… yeah, didn’t think of that. My bad.
The first assignment was on Grimm’s Household Tales, specifically the edition translated by Lucy Crane. I finished it today and have pretty much written my first essay. Although essay is a bit grand a word for a couple of paragraphs, between 270 and 320 words is all you’re allowed. More like thoughts and notions. I may edit it slightly, so I won’t post it here until the deadline has passed on Tuesday.
- Grimm — Children’s and Household Tales (Lucy Crane translation with Walter Crane illustrations)
- Carroll — Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass
- Stoker — Dracula (This reading is somewhat longer than most of the others. You may want to begin it in advance.)
- Shelley — Frankenstein< /li>
- Hawthorne & Poe — Stories and Poems (Hawthorne’s Mosses from an Old Manse includes “The Birthmark,” “Rappaccini’s Daughter,” and “The Artist of the Beautiful” and his Twice-Told Tales includes “Dr. Heidegger’s Experiment”; The Portable Poe includes all the suggested Poe stories and poems
- Wells — The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Invisible Man, “The Country of the Blind,” “The Star”
- Burroughs & Gilman — A Princess of Mars & Herland
- Bradbury — The Martian Chronicles (not available for legal, free download)
- LeGuin — The Left Hand of Darkness (not available for legal, free download)
- Doctorow — Little Brother (This reading is somewhat longer than most of the others. You may want to begin it in advance.)
If you are doing the course leave a link in the Mr. Linky below, I’m hoping to post my essays after they are submitted & will throw up Mr. Linkies then too.