Filed Under: Moving Pictures

Genre: ,
Script:
Cast: , ,
Rated :

IMDb
Watched as part of this year’s Once Upon a Time Quest On-Screen

I’d say almost everyone knows the plot outline to Beauty and the Beast, a father imprisoned by a beast, a daughter who takes her father’s place, and the love that develops and turns the beast into a man. I didn’t need to spoiler hide that, right?

It has, however, been years since I’ve read any of the Beauty and the Beast fairy tales, I remember them vaguely from childhood, but I’d never seen the Disney version before now, although I had heard it highly praised.

And I have to say that I agree with that praise. I really enjoyed the film, it suffers from the usual Disney problems, but even still is was a delight to watch. And I have to give Disney credit, the picture and sound is fantastic on the dvd, and I don’t usually notice that sort of thing.

I loved the design of the beast, especially the fact that he walked around on all fours, and the gothic feel of his castle was wonderful. And Belle was okay too :) Although I do wish that more of the backstory regarding the theft of the rose was told. Afterall, in this version the beast locks up her father for no good reason. The story I remember had him being a guest of the beasts, only to betray that hospitality by stealing a rose for his daughter.

But all in all it is a lovely, lovely story, with some beautiful artwork, and some nice songs. What more do you want from your Disney romances?

• 28 April 2011 - 5:57 am | Permalink

I love the 'Gaston' song scene in this one.

Will be humming to myself all night now :)

• 1 May 2011 - 4:04 pm | Permalink

It is great fun isn't it. One I'll be rewatching for sure

• 28 April 2011 - 6:35 am | Permalink

I always remember the narration in the beginning with the voice saying, "…for who could ever learn to love a beast…" cue music. But apparently the narrator (David Ogden Stiers) is the same guy who voiced Cogsworth. Really? lol.

• 1 May 2011 - 4:05 pm | Permalink

Really? I looked at the IMDb site, but not too closely. Very different voices, love that good voice actors can do that sort of thing

• 1 May 2011 - 3:17 am | Permalink

I love Disney's addition of the "human" appliances. Lumiere, the feather duster, and chip are my very favorite!
    The Very Hungry Book´s last blog post ..The Bookworms- Which Literary Figure Would You Vote For For President

• 1 May 2011 - 4:06 pm | Permalink

They are fun. Although I kept thinking of Murder She Wrote :)

• 24 May 2011 - 6:54 pm | Permalink

"Beauty and the Beast" is my favorite of the old Disney classics, probably because Belle isn't the typical Disney female. Instead, she's a nerd who doesn't let herself be pressured into marriage with Gaston, and ends up being the one doing the rescuing.

• 25 May 2011 - 10:02 pm | Permalink

I think my favourite is still The Lion King, but that probably doesn't count as a classic :)

I do like that Belle is the independent sort, does make a difference that she isn't ever so typical princess sort.

• Comments are closed.