Today I begin a new meme, and hereby order you all to partake. Even you Anne, with your abandoned blog :).
The details: The Guardian recently came out with a list of the top 50 television dramas. All you have to do is bold the ones you’ve watched in full (or close to), italics for ones you’ve only seen a few episodes of, and then tag five other bloggers to do the same. Link back here, or post a comment to let me know when it’s done. Easy-peasy.
- The list from The Guardian:
- The Sopranos – Currently rewatching this. Mid-way through season 2.
- Brideshead Revisited
- Our Friends in the North
- Mad Men – have heard good things about this, and will watch at some point. But at the moment. Nope.
- A Very Peculiar Practice
- Talking Heads
- The Singing Detective
- Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
- State of Play
- Boys From the Blackstuff
- The West Wing
- Twin Peaks – Although I don’t remember a lot of details about it. Mainly that it was strange and weird. Have season 1 on dvd and waiting to get to it.
- Queer as Folk – Yup, and I almost picked up the dvd recently, but worried that it was dated. May give it a chance at some point.
- The Wire – Yes. And have just finished rewatching it too. Should be higher on the list. Think it’d be my number one.
- Six Feet Under
- How Do You Want Me?
- Smiley’s People
- House of Cards – Watched most of this, but can’t say for certain that I caught it all. You may say so, I couldn’t possibly comment ;)
- Prime Suspect – Watched this off an on, nothing too great, imo.
- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Duh. Of course. Should also be higher on the list.
– Had almost forgotten about this. Brilliant show.
- Pennies From Heaven
- Battlestar Galactica – Yup. And have just bought the whole shebang on dvd so will be rewatching soon enough.
- Coronation Street – I’m sorry, you what? This almost makes me want to abandon the list.
- The Jewel in the Crown
- The Monocled Mutineer
- Clocking Off
- Inspector Morse – Never was a huge fan of Morse’s but I’ll watch when there’s nothing else on.
- This Life
- Band of Brothers – This one I meant to watch, but never did for one reason or another.
- Hill Street Blues – meh
- The Prisoner – This I want to watch at some point.
- St Elsewhere
- The L Word
- The Shield – have caught the very odd episode, never enough to get into it though, think it clashed with summat else when it first came out over here.
- Brookside – Again with the WTF!
- 24 – Must finish this off at some point.
- The Twilight Zone – who hasn’t seen at least one episode of this.
- Pride and Prejudice
- Red Riding
- Oz – this was badly scheduled over here. Otherwise I’d’ve watched more.
- The Street
- The X-Files – big fan in the early years, but it went on too long and lost the plot.
- Bleak House – Bored the crap out of me.
- The Sweeney
- EastEnders – Are fer jaysiz sake! The most depressing of the soaps!
- Shameless – heard plenty of good stuff about this but it has never appealed.
- Grange Hill – feck off.
Damn there is a lot of crap on that list. And it is hugely Brit-o-centric. However they do have the good idea of watching and discussing series that didn’t make the cut. You can join the TV Club here
So comedies are not worth having a list, but soaps can be included in this one? Interesting.
# The Sopranos
# Brideshead Revisited
# Our Friends in the North
# Mad Men
# A Very Peculiar Practice
# Talking Heads
# The Singing Detective
# Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
# State of Play
# Boys From the Blackstuff
# The West Wing
# Twin Peaks
# Queer as Folk
# The Wire
# Six Feet Under
# How Do You Want Me?
# Smiley’s People
# House of Cards
# Prime Suspect
# Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
# Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Of COURSE i did. And people in France did NOT understand.
# Cracker – i fell in love with Robbie Coltrane on that show!
# Pennies From Heaven
# Battlestar Galactica
# Coronation Street
# The Jewel in the Crown
# The Monocled Mutineer
# Clocking Off
# Inspector Morse
# This Life
# Band of Brothers
# Hill Street Blues
# The Prisoner
# St Elsewhere
# The L Word
# The Shield
# The Twilight Zone
# Pride and Prejudice
# Red Riding
# Oz – Oh yes.
# The Street – if we're talking about "The $treet", which i doubt because how many episodes did *that* get to make?
# The X-Files – oh em gee, did i ever.
# Bleak House
# The Sweeney
# EastEnders – you know. just a couple episodes.
# Grange Hill.
I hope those tags worked… (with which i took some liberties, because watching 2-3 episodes out of 24 isn't quite the same as watching 40 out of 76… Right? Right?)
Not quite. But almost :) And you simply must watch The Wire. It's the bestest.
There is a *teeny weeney* bit of favouring the auld British shows there I suppose :)
Ha! I wasn't awake. I HAVE watched The Wire. And loved it. Season 4 has made me reconsider a few very important (and maybe ill-advised (or maybe the reconsidering is ill-advised, who knows.) decisions i'd made so far – that's how i've watched and loved it.
Yay! Everyone should watch The Wire. It's the best cop-but-not-really-a-cop show ever.