Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
|Thirteen Things about Lugh
- The end of July or start of August marks Lughnasa which is the Celtic harvest festival. In Ireland, summer is technically over now August is the first month of Autumn, or Fall for you all from the US. The festival takes its name from Lugh, or Lug, or LÃº.
- LÃºnasa, from Lugh, is the Irish word for August.
- Lugh is pronounced with a silent gh.
- Supposedly the word leprechaun comes from Lugh.
- Lugh was also known as the many skilled; he was a wright, a smith, a champion, a swordsman, a harpist, a hero, a poet and historian, a sorcerer, and a craftsman.
- He was also known as Lugh of the long-hand, and in Welsh as Lleu Llaw Gyffes, or Lleu of the Dexterous Hand. In Gaul he is known as Lugus.
- There are also certain parallels with the Norse God Odin
- Lugh led the Tuatha de Dannan in battle against the Fomorians in the Second Battle of Moytura
- Lugh fought and killer Balor, of the evil eye, and the Fomorians were defeated.
- Lugh is also supposed to have invented the game of fidchell which is similar to chess, but we don’t really know the rules. Ficheall is the modern Irish word for chess.
- In the Ulaid or Ulster mythology cycle Lugh is said to have been CÃºchulainn’s father. And in the TÃ¡in BÃ³ Cuailnge he healed CÃºchulainn’s wounds after the Ulster champion was single-handedly defending the province. The other men of Ulster being incapacitated due to the Curse of Macha.
- In some areas under Roman control Lugh was romanized and identified as Mercury, and later with the Archangel Michael.
- One of his wives had an affair with Cermait and Lugh killed him In return Cermait’s sons drowned Lugh in loch Lugborta and buried under a cairn
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
- Planck’s Constant
- My 2 Cents
- (leave your link in comments, Iâ€™ll add you here!)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. Itâ€™s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
- not that it was here at all this year ↩
- – or so he claimed in order to be accepted by the Tuathe de Dannan ↩
- different stories, but said to be just different versions ↩
- – which isnt so surprising really. Cross-cultural interaction and all that malarky ↩
- the good guys ↩
- the bad guys ↩
- for 9 days and nights they were too feel labour pains ↩
- – You gotta love religions, stealing from one another like nothing else. ↩
- revenge, not a good thing. ↩
- see, they got their own back ↩