|Thirteen Things about cats I’ve had
- The first cat I remember having was Blackie. This was back in Dublin, so don’t remember much about her. She had a kitten that we kept, named Sooty. Yes, we are terribly original when it comes to our cat names.
- After we moved our neighbours called around and deposited a kitten with a gammy eye with us. We were told it was female, so we named it Cleo. But it soon turned out that Cleo was in fact a Leo. As Tom cats do, he took to wandering off for days on end, and then one day he didn’t come home.
- After that we spotted an ad for a stray that needed a new home, so we got a new cat. She, yes we checked this time, was white, which meant that you could really see the fleas as they moved about her coat. She was the first cat I ever gave a bath to, and hopefully she’ll be the last. She became known as White Cat.
- A few months after we got White Cat we were surprised to find a ginormous tabby cat on our windowsill. It turned out to be C/Leo, complete with still gammy eye. He hadn’t been killed on the road as we thought, but had been off doing what Tom cats do around the neighbourhood.
- White Cat had numerous litters of kittens. We kept one, an all black one that we called Black Cat. Or sometimes, Baby Cat. She also had one or two litters of kittens. Usually around the same time as White Cat so they’d share the raising duties. White Cat would never, ever mew, or make any sound. Totally silent, but a great hunter of mice and rats. We’d often find the dead bodies about the garden.
- We’d name all these kittens. Once after the characters in Brisco County Jnr, another time after those in Bear in a Big Blue House. Once, taking the dog for a walk I turned around to discover two cats and a line of kittens following me down the road. It looked cute, but I had to take them home. Then we decided enough was enough and got both cats spayed. And pretty soon after Black Cat got knocked down, and White Cat disappeared.
- After that we got another kitten from different neighbours. This was actually a relation of one of our previous cats, as we’d given them a kitten a few years before.
- She got called Lucy Locket, from the rhyme, I’m not quite sure why. And she was taken from her mother at too young an age, and was always a bit strange. Her first litter of kittens died, I think a Tom got at them, but I’m not sure. We had her spayed after her second litter, and kept one of her kittens, who we called Kitty Fisher.
- Lucy and Kitty lasted a good few years, but then Kitty got knocked down. And a few years after that Lucy died.
- We remained cat-free for a while after that. I think our next cat was an orange tabby. But I’m not sure, as I wasn’t living at home any more. Anyways, she died on the road.
- Our next cat was Missy, also an orange tabby, who went through the wars and even lost an eye before disappearing. We think she got hit by a car but we aren’t sure. After that we decided that the road was really too dangerous to get any more cats, so we’d stick with the mutt.
- But then de mudder found a little cat wandering the streets, and after asking around and finding no owner, took him in. He is quite an affectionate cat, but he is also a terrible bawler and moaner. He’ll whine and cry and mewl for food, when there is plenty in his bowl, it just isn’t tasty enough for him. And he’ll bawl to get out, and then sit on the window and bawl to get back in.
- He’s been neutered so hopefully there’ll be no wandering from him, and he has made it a good few months, so maybe he has learned that the road is to be avoided. We think he may have learned this lesson as a while ago the sound of brakes squealing was heard and he was then located crying under the shed, and had a few wounds. I doubt he was actually hit, they were very minor scrapes, but maybe he’ll have been scared enough to stay away.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
- Don’t call me mummy
- Special K family
- Find of Snape
- Kitchen Table Chat
- But what these unobservant birds
- Blissful Life of a SAHM and Military Wife
- Too many Ideas
- Top Left Hand Page
- (leave your link in comments, Iâ€™ll add you here!)