Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer [based on characters created] by , dir. by

Genre: ,
Script: , ,
Cast: , , , , , ,
Rated :

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This was pants. Complete pants. Not even bad enough to be enjoyed.
Harsh? Maybe, but true. I wasn’t overly fond of the first film but it did the job of light entertainment. This one though was boring. An unforgivable flaw in an action-hero flick. Everything was ultra predictable, and nothing sparkled. Not even McMahon as the ebil Von Doom. And I can’t be the only one who is totally Fishburne’s supposedly gravitas filled delivery of lines. Yes, it worked in the first of the Matrix films, but it seems as though ever since then he has been called upon whenever a “serious voice” is needed. Enough already. Especially when the Silver Surfer was probably the only thing about this film that I liked.

There isn’t really that much more to say about this. I wasn’t impressed. I was bored. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

IMDb | Stainless Steel Droppings | Cinematical | The Movie Blog

Post Author: Fence

9 thoughts on “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer [based on characters created]

Carl V.

(17 June 2007 - 4:34 pm)

I can definitely see that if you didn't like the first one, you wouldn't like this one. But boring? Nah, can't agree with you there. Predictable? Yes, every single comic book movie is…after all, the hero cannot die or be defeated, so of course there isn't any real surprise in a comic book movie. I was extremely thankful to be able to go to a comic book movie that went for the lighter side, something that didn't have to try for deep and philosophical.

And like I said, I was with a whole group of people who didn't even notice it was Morpheus doing the voice-over, so not everyone was Matrix-ified watching the film. I am disappointed for Doug Jones, though. He did a great job with the Abe Sapien voice over work in the Hellboy cartoons, but he is never allowed to voice any of the many live-action characters he performs. It is too bad…he may always be this generations equivalent of the man in the Vader suit.

Fence

(17 June 2007 - 9:52 pm)

I enjoyed the first one for what it was Carl, a piece of fun, mindless entertainment. This one just wasn't as fun, imo. I don't mind predictable when it that the goodies win, but this was predictable in the little stuff too. So I found it boring.

Light and fluffy is great when done properly. This just didn't do anything for me. And I totally agree, poor old Doug, never allowed to use his voice.

Carl V.

(17 June 2007 - 11:35 pm)

Have you ever seen any of the behind-the-scenes stuff with Doug getting into any of the many outfits he's worn in various movies? Makes me claustrophobic! The worst though, is the outfits for Silent Hill. The guy and girl who played all the creature parts were tucked into some amazingly tight, enclosed outfits. Freaked me out watching that more than the movie! ;)

Fence

(18 June 2007 - 12:21 am)

I haven't Carl. But I must take a look at my Hellboy dvd and see if there is anything on it.

He's had some great creepy characters, from the Gentlemen in Buffy to the various monsters in Pan's Labyrinth.

[…] Fence’s review Fantasy and Sci-Fi Lovin’s review […]

Spot 1980

(19 June 2007 - 3:18 pm)

>>There isn’t really that much more to say about this.

I liked the movie a LOT more than you, but at the end of the day, I totally agree with your comment. Whether you liked the movie or not, there just really all that much to say about it.

Fence

(19 June 2007 - 3:54 pm)

I think maybe I was a little harsh. I don't like it anymore than I did, but it isn't the worst film ever made :)

Jim Donahue/The Velv

(19 June 2007 - 8:21 pm)

"Pants"? Is that an Irishism?

Fence

(19 June 2007 - 9:29 pm)

Kinda. Of British origin I expect. Means a bit rubbish.

Comments are closed.