Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
|Thirteen Things. And seeing as today is the Ides of March I thought I may as well use that as my inspiration for this week’s T13
- The Ides of March falls on the 15th. In the Ancient Roman calendar the ides of the month fell on the 15th of March, May, July, or October, or on the 13th of any other month.
- Today, the Ides are remembered because of the assassination of Julius Caesar. And because of Shakespeare’s play the Ides of March has mainly come to mean “impending doom”
- I however have chosen to pretend that it augurs well, and have placed a whole â‚¬1 of a bet on a horse named Julius Caesar running at Cheltenham today.
- I have issues with the spelling of Caesar. I’m never sure of whether to put the a or the w first. Luckily, google is my friend.
- In Latin Caesar should actually be pronounced with a hard C, more like the German Kaiser, but everyone uses siezer.
- Julius Caesar has to one of the most famous cultural icons. There was that play by Shakespeare for one. More than a few films. A fair few TV shows. Plus comics and cartoons. He has had more than his ten minutes of fame.
- In 75 BC Caesar was captured by pirates. Supposedly he was on quite friendly terms with his captors, until he was ransomed and released, he then tracked them down and had them crucified.
- One of the most famous lines of Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar is the one addressed to Brutus “Et tu, Brute?“
- Personally, I prefer the Brutus is an honourable man speech.
- The soothsayer who warned Caesar was Titus Vestricius Spurinna
- Many people would say that Caesar destroyed the Republic, course others would argue that it was crumbling anyway. But like most things, it was a lot more complicated than any one straight forward reason.
- Today, you can Request an audience with Gaius Julius Caesar, or at least an artificial intelligence version of him.
- Today the site of Julius Caesar’s assassination, like many other Ancient Roman ruins, is home to quite a few cats.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
- (leave your link in comments, Iâ€™ll add you here!)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. Itâ€™s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants