|Thirteen Things about February
- Obviously enough, February, being the month of my birth is the best month of the 12. Even if there were 20 months, February would be the best. But I’m not the only reason that Feb is great.
- The second reason is that it is short. Which means that you get paid just a little sooner. Which is always nice.
- It is Imbolc time, which as you’ll remember from my previous mentions which means that it is Spring.
- And you’ll get to see leaping lambs! Which is always nice. Course they do grow up to be evil evil sheep, but I do believe I am getting over my hatred of sheep. Which may be because now that I live in the city I don’t have to put up with their evil deeds and doings.
- The 1st of Feb is also St. Bridget’s Day, LÃ¡ FhÃ©ile BrÃde, although you don’t really see so many Bridget’s crosses about any more.
- Today is the CAO deadline The CAO is the Central Applications Office and every Irish person who wants to go on to college after secondary school has to apply to it. You fill out your form in order of preference and send if off. Back in my day it was all done by post, now you can go online or send your form through the post.
- More importantly, February marks the beginning of the Six Nations competition. And I know all you rugby fans have been waiting to read my posts on this matter.
- Ireland play Wales this weekend. In Wales. We are currently favourites. This is a bad thing. We don’t like being favourites, and despite the fact that we do deserve the tag I’m not counting any chickens. Wales are a big worry.
- On the 11th of February France will be coming to play Ireland. In Croke Park And I have a ticket.
- One Anglo-Saxon word for February is Solmoneth, which means mud-month.
- In February, in 1979 China invaded Vietnam
- Of course there is also the obvious fact that February only has 28 days, or 29 in a leap year. But you all knew that already, I had, after all, mentioned up above that Feb was short.
- February is probably the most mispronounced of all months. We should all just use the Irish name and say Feabhra. That’s pronounced Feow-rah.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!