Well it has been longer than usual since my last post, but moving a library’ll get you offline for a spell. The movers arrived on Monday and began packing, so we all headed down to the new building to make sure we knew where everything was going. They don’t do reconfigurations you see.
Only there’d been a leak. In the roof just above the library, and a huge waterfall of liquid had made it’s way from the outside of the building to the inside. All over the carpet and through to the basement below. Luckily there had been people around on Sat when it happened, otherwise we’d have been swimming on Monday. Still, it meant we couldn’t be sure about where the journals were going to go as that area was ever so slightly damp.
But the movers themselves were great, ready to rock and roll a little early in fact. They came in at 6 on Tues, finished packing and were ready to head up to the new building. Only there was no one there, as we hadn’t expected them to be that quick. So we gave them tea and coffee while they waited for 30 mins or so til the man with the key arrived.
And they unpacked, rebuilt shelves, began to reshelve books. Everything going great and they were flying along After they finished with one section I took a look. Oh dear. Everything was perfect apart from the fact that in almost every single case they’d put the shelf meant for the bottom on the top. Only two shelves wrong, you might think. But in order to fix that problem you have to move all the books on all six shelves. And this problem was on all 8 bays.
Plus we then had to figure out why it had happened. So that it wouldn’t continue happening.
Eventually we realised what the problem was; they’d begun packing at the shelf furthest from the exit. Which was the last shelf. And had done every bay the same way, top to bottom. Then each crate was marked in that order. And they were reshelving top to bottom, so it should have been fine, right?
Wrong. Because they were taking the books off in reverse order they should have started at the bottom of the bay, so everything was in reverse. They didn’t and hence the mix up.
Course that also meant that the rest of the crates would be in the same half-right, half-wrong order. And the problem made worse by the fact that the books weren’t going onto the same shelves they’d come from.
So for the rest of the day it was a case of opening as many crates as possible, checking the spine labels, double checking them, searching for any that might be before them, double checking that we weren’t missing anything and finally getting the books shelved.
Still, despite that little hiccup the move has gone really well so far. The library movers finished up on Wednesday evening and Thurday we packed up all of the office files, accounts, stationary etc and moved that down to the new building. Where we discovered another problem.
Carpet. See the place where we are moving to is carpeted in nice blue tiles of carpet. Apart from a few stipes of grey padded carpet. Where the computer workstations used to go. And maintenance guy was told that we had enough blue tiles to lay over those grey sections. Only we don’t. And can’t cause if that was done there’d be funny lumps as the blue would be covering lumpy grey sections. So now we gotta wait till new carpet is found, laid, sorted, and we may have to move one section of shelving in order to lift the grey from under it and replace it with the blue. Happy days :)
Anyways, I’ve most likely bored you all to death with this post. And it has gone on forever. So I’m shutting up now. Although I still want to bring up The X-Factor which made its return to the screen on Sat. Joy-joy feelings of watching other people’s mortification. I’ll leave that for later.