My first half commentary could be summarised as “fucking, french fuckers, and fucking stupid silly mistakes”, or to reduce that even further: FUCK!”
Lets look at the score timeline:
- 3 min.s and the french score a try 5-0
- 7 min.s and another french try. Converted. 12-0
- 18 min.s and guess what? Another French try. Also converted. 19-0
- 28 min.s sees Ireland’s first score. A penalty. 19-3
- 30 min.s and France erase Ireland’s score with a penalty of their own. 22-3
- 38 min.s, and a huge error by Murphy sees France get in for yet another try. Once more converted. 29-3
- 45. min.s and France continue on their Try scoring ways. Converted. 36-3
- 48 min.s and a block down from an O’Gara kick sees France’s SIXTH try 43-3
- 58 min.s sees us score our first try. Converted. Not much a reason for celebration as the score is still 43-10
- 61 min.s – Another Irish try. converted. 43-17
- 67 min.s and O’Callaghan makes it three for Ireland. Converted. 43-24
- 70 min.s and why the hell didn’t we play like this in first half; A converted try makes it 43-31
Half time, and we are all thinking of turning the telly off, cause this is just humiliating.
And that was the final score. 43-31. 6 tries to 4. Can you imagine, ten tries in the one game!
So did France take their foot off the pedal and allow Ireland back into the game? Or did Ireland’s work in the first half wear the French down enough so that they just weren’t capable of maintaining that level of defence in the second half.
Here’s hoping, against all reality, that Italy beat England.