Obviously as the end of the year is nigh we have to have a few “best of” lists, a review of the year. It is one of those unwritten rules. We’ve invented seconds, days, weeks, months, years and so have to mark them somehow, so without further ado, My top 5 films of 2005:
- King Kong – I didn’t think this would make it to my list, but it has. A really great film, not without its flaws, but overall I really felt that it worked. Almost like three different films in one, we start off with the drama of Denham and the depression of the 1930’s, then once we reach the island we are launched into a horror monster movie, and the final third is the tragic love story. Needs to be seen on the big screen.
- Brotherhood of the Wolf – I know this didn’t come out in 2005, but I bought it and watched it for the first time back in March, and I love it. It is French, and subtitled and the plot revolves around a mysterious beast, the Beast of Gevaudan, in the 1760’s. This creature, many believe it to be a wolf, is killing people so the Chevalier de Fronsac is sent to investigate. A very stylish film, it looks great.
- Downfall – The last few weeks of Nazi Germany as told by a young woman in Hitler’s employ, this film is a great look at Hitler the man. Yes it does have that cliche of the banality of evil, but you’ll be left incredulous by the behaviour of Hitler and his followers.
- Kiss Kiss Bang Bang – wonderful film with Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer. It’ll keep you laughing all through the film, but you’ll also fall in love with the character of Harry.
- Serenity – Like I wasn’t going to mention this one :) Sci-fi meets cowboys for the follow up to the tv series Firefly. It has got something for everyone, action, violence, humour, death, love, religion and belief. Just watch it.
And honourable mentions must go to:
- Batman Begins
- Howl’s Moving Castle
- Wedding Crashers
- The Woodsman
Now, off you go and do the Guardian film quiz, I got 22 out of 30, so don’t forget to post your score.